Tuesday, July 1, 2008

To Be Continued??

Calcutta. Cal, we called it in short.The journey by the local train to Calcutta was out of the world experience. Years later, when I used to travel by the local trains of Mumbai, on particular days when nostalgia changed roles and became an enemy, I could not help but compare. The two to three hour ride to Calcutta was marked by a complete sense of being at ease as opposed to the frenzy in Mumbai. Years later, he enlightens me over a glass of wine-It is not that local trains of Calcutta lacked the hustle- bustle and the madness of Mumbai. It was just that we were so much at peace with ourselves that we didn’t mind.You can reserve a seat for yourself on the train by putting a handkerchief or newspaper on it.But mind you,only hankies and newspapers.Nothing else is treated with the same grudging respect that is yielded to them.Once we stupidly tried to throw in a cap

The ride in the local train was sometimes more fun than the being in the city. Especially, when we manage to find one of those innumerable Kishore Kumars the city hosts. Give him a twenty rupee note and sit back. And don’t forget to stop every vendor on the way. God, I love those carefree days where you don’t think twice before putting any kind of trash in your mouth.The Bengali uncle sitting next to me kind of judges me for wearing jeans but soon as I tell where I hail from he is all smiles and enquires as to from when his daughter should start preparing to grow up and be like me. Grow up and be like me? Really?

You get down at the station and overwhelmed at once by both the crowd and the smell of stinking fish. I can never forget the first time I saw the Howrah Bridge. An endless line of people walking on .I was mistaken to think that there was a rally going on. I was so busy taking in the sights that I didn’t notice that I was now alone, separated from the group. Before I could start panicking, a fat grubby hand grabs me.
"You are an idiot."
‘You are a fatso.’
"Come on, hold my hand."
‘No.’
" I will hold yours.For my sake .Ok?"

I decide that I like Bongs.I know what you are thinking.I like those too.But here Bong is just a cooler word for Bengali.Bengalis are awesome .All day long they will keep on shouting "Cholbe na..Cholbe na ..." but I have never seen a more Sab-Chalta-Hai attitude anywhere else. Cab drivers will accommodate 8-9 people in a taxi which is supposed to seat only 5 people.All traffic is halted to make way for a tram which is totally empty.Total madness.

No comments: